Admission into the graduate program is based on past academic record, intellectual promise and programmatic fit. Students entering the program have typically completed an English B.A. or the equivalent in a related field. Students who do not already have a master’s degree should apply to the M.A./Ph.D. program; those with an M.A. degree should apply directly to the Ph.D. program. The department accepts students only for the Ph.D. or the M.A./Ph.D. It does not offer a terminal M.A. degree.
The annual deadline for applications to the graduate program in English is early December. Graduate Division graduate degree program information sheets include application deadline dates and other pertinent information: http://www.graddiv.ucsb.edu/departments/?m=21
Students may enter the program only in the fall. Final admissions decisions cannot be made without official Graduate Record Examination scores (GRE), the GRE Literature Subject test is optional. Applicants are encouraged to arrange to take the exam early. Unofficial GRE scores may be reported if official scores are pending.
- Online application: https://www.graddiv.ucsb.edu/eapp
- Statement of Purpose, Personal Achievements/Contributions, and CV or Resume (submit via online application)
- Three Letters of Recommendation (submit via online application)
- Official transcripts from all post-secondary institutions attended (submit via online application)
- GRE General test scores sent to UCSB institutional code 4835. Note that the GRE Literature Subject test is optional.
- Writing Sample: A critical paper written in an upper-division or graduate literature class. Suggested length is 10 pages. (submit via online application)