Planning the Minor

How to Become a Minor in English

Students do not need to declare the minor. Once a student has completed the course work outlined above, he or she can pick up a Request for Certification Form at the English Department advising office, South Hall 3432. The completed form may be turned in during the quarter that the student is completing their final course for the minor.

A self-addressed, stamped envelope must be attached to the Minor Certification Request Form. This will be used to mail the student a copy of the final clearance paperwork sent the registrar.

Planning Your Minor

The English Department welcomes students majoring in other programs who feel they would like to complement their studies, and enrich their cultural lives, by minoring in English. Such crossing of disciplines makes even more sense today because the field of literary studies like many other humanities fields—has in recent decades actively fostered relations with the arts, social sciences, and science and technology.

For students considering the thematic minor, it is possible to utilize the department’s preestablished Specializations to structure the thematic minor course selection.  See the Staff Undergraduate Advisor for more information.