To access the latest official minor requirement sheet for the current catalog year, students should visit the College of Letters & Science website. The minor requirements below are provided with additional supplementary information pertinent to students pursuing the minor.
Note that you should delcare the minor as soon as you are interested. See the How to Become an English Minor page for more information.
The English minor requires 24 units in English, at least 20 of which must be upper-division, distributed in the manner outlined below.
Requirements of the Minor in English
The English Department now offers two possible plans for the upper division portion of the minor.
One lower-division course in English (4 units)
Plan 1 - Core Plan
20 UD units, distributed as follows:
- 4.0 units of literature, pre-1700, chosen from: English 101, 105A-B, 110A-B-C, 115, 119, 119X, 144, 152A-B, 156, 157, or 162
- 4.0 units of literature from 1700-1900, chosen from: English 102, 103A-B, 126A-B-C, 137A, 169, 172, 179, 180, or 181.
- 12.0 units of English electives
Plan 2 - Thematic Plan
20 UD units of English electives chosen around a central theme. Students are required to meet with a faculty member to choose a topic and course of study. Final approval required by faculty undergraduate committee.
Depending on course content the following courses may apply to area A or area B of the upper-division minor; English 114AA-ZZ, 128AA-ZZ, 131, 132AA-ZZ, 133AA-ZZ, 134AA-ZZ, 151AA-ZZ, 16SAA-ZZ. Any of these courses apply automatically to area C. Contact the department to see which courses will apply to areas A and B in a given quarter. Substitutions and waivers are subject to approval by the chair of the department.
All courses to be applied to the minor must be completed on a letter-grade basis. This includes both courses offered by the English Department and those offered by other departments and applied to the minor.
The following conditions must also be met for official recognition of the minor, per the official College requirements:
- The sponsoring department reports completion of the minor prior to the posting of the degree.
- At least 12 of the upper division units for the minor are completed while in residence at UCSB.
- The UC grade point average in ALL applicable upper division courses, including those in excess of minimum requirements, is 2.0 or higher.
- No more than 5 upper division units overlap between this minor and the upper division portion of the major(s) or other minor(s). If overlap is greater with the major(s), completion of the minor will not be formally recognized; if overlap with other minor(s) is greater, only the first minor reported will be recognized.
The English Department also requires that:
- All courses applied to the minor must be taken for a letter-grade.
- Only one non-English Department course may be applied to the minor by petition, subject to faculty approval.