This page is intended to answer some of the most common course administration questions. Please consult the links and resources below and contact the English Department staff undergraduate advisor if you have any questions.
- English Department Crash Policy
- General staff and faculty resources can be found on the Registrar’s website.
- eGrades can be used to:
- Print class lists and add codes
- View and manage waitlists
- Find student contact information
- To set up (or change) your Network ID, go to the UCSB Identity Manager website.
- To send an email to all registered students in your class:
- Door cards have been attached to your printed packet and are available at the Support Center front desk (SH 3431)
- The Office of the Registrar maintains the approved academic calendars.
- Classrooms, Keys, and Media Resources
- The Office of Student Conduct maintains resources on academic integrity, including an overview of how and when to make a report.
- For Reader resources, please speak to the SASC student services manager.
Guideline for Faculty Working With TAs (2022) (93.20 KB)
- Approval codes may be used by students to add classes until the ADD deadline for the quarter, Click here for deadlines.
- Course approval codes can be accessed via eGrades, by navigating to the “Class List” view and clicking “Add Codes”.
- When distributing add codes, give each student one code which they will use to enroll through the GOLD system. Codes can be given in person or sent via email. The GOLD system should instruct the student clearly through the entire process. Each code may be used only once by one student. If a class has sections, the TAs will get the approval codes since students must enroll for the class through the section they are attending. Add codes will allow students to override the following conditions: class closed, class full, major restrictions, or level limitations.
- If you run out of approval codes, please contact the Staff Undergraduate Advisor.
- Students may drop themselves from GOLD or be dropped by the department before the DROP deadline for the quarter, Click here for deadlines.
- If you would like to drop students from your class who have missed two or more class meetings, please follow the instructions below:
- Check the online class list at the eGrades site to see whether they have dropped the class already.
- If a student has not dropped your course by the second day of class, please email the student name(s), Perm#, and course/section enrollment number (5-digit number attached to that course) to the Staff Undergraduate Advisor with a request that the student be dropped.
- When the student drops or is dropped by the staff advisor, the spaces in your class will open up immediately.
- After the drop deadline, neither the department nor instructor will be able to drop students from any class; instead, those students wishing to drop must petition with the College of Letters & Science.
Additional Information and Resources
- Final grades are submitted to the Office of the Registrar via eGrades. Links are included above to refresh your memory regarding the steps needed to complete this task. The due-date for grades can be found in eGrades and on the Department calendar linked above.
- Please see the Department note on room keys and media requests for information on technology support in your classroom. For special room reservations such as one-time film screenings or review sessions, please contact the staff at least 7 days in advance.
- Instructors wishing to utilize UCSB’s Canvas online course management service should visit the LSIT Canvas Help Center. Canvas access is provided to all UCSB instructors and students free of charge, and allows instructors to post class deadlines, materials, and other information online for students, and to easily send emails to the entire class. For further assistance and FAQs regarding the campus-wide transition to Canvas, click here
We hope this page proves useful. Please contact the Staff Undergraduate Advisor if you have any questions or comments regarding the above information.